Continuing the tradition of focusing on the practical aspects of the power electronics profession, the Professional Education Seminars at APEC 2019 address the need for in-depth discussion of important and complex power electronics topics. Each seminar combines practical application with theory designed to further educate the working professional in power electronics or related fields. The Professional Education Seminars at APEC are three-and-one-half hours (including breaks) in length, can range from broad to narrow in scope, and can vary from introductory to advanced in technical level and they complement the technical papers, the special presentations, and the comprehensive exposition.
The call for proposals is now closed.
Topics are to address the practical issues of the specification, design, manufacture and marketing of power electronic components, products, and systems. Proposals focusing on, but not limited to, any of the following areas of power electronics are welcome.
- POWER SYSTEMS
- AC-DC Power Supplies
- DC-DC Converters
- Power System Architectures
- Lighting Power Systems
- Renewable/Alternative Energy
- Aerospace & Defense Systems
- Automotive & Traction Applications
- Telecom Power Systems
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- DESIGN (continued)
- Protection of Converters & Systems
- Safety and EMI/EMC Compliance
- Simulation Tools & Techniques
- Soft-Switching Techniques
- Thermal Management
- Capacitor Technologies
- ICs for Power Electronics
- Power Semiconductors
- Design for Manufacturability
- High Density Packaging
- Manufacturing Processes
- Standardizing Specifications
- Technology Transfer
- Control of Converters & Systems
- Digital Control and Management
- EMI and EMC Issues
- Energy Harvesting
- High-Efficiency Designs
- High-Frequency Designs
- Machine Control
- Modeling and Analysis
- Power Conversion Fundamentals
- Power Factor Correction
- Benchmarking Results
- Identifying New & Emerging Markets
- JIT & Material Management
- Market Analysis & Strategies
- Procurement & Qualification
- Product & Technology Roadmaps
- Quality/Reliability and Data
- The Voice Of The Customer
Please note the following time frames (subject to change and posted at here):
|July 2, 2018
||Start date to submit proposal
|September 14, 2018
||Deadline for proposal submission
|October 26, 2018
||Notification that a proposal was accepted or declined
|October 26, 2018 -
January 11, 2019
|Final presentation and author registrations are due
Preparation of proposals
The seminar proposal should include the following:
- Contact information for presenting speaker(s): name, affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address. The corresponding presenter must be clearly identified, and an email address must be provided in the proposal.
- An abstract of no more than 200 words describing what is to be presented, including whether the topic will be treated in-depth or as a survey, and the level of the intended audience (entry level, intermediate, or advanced). This abstract should be in a form suitable for publication in the APEC advance program.
- A detailed topical outline of three to five double-spaced pages including the estimated time for each major topic. Note that the topics must be suitably in-depth and comprehensive to adequately cover three plus hours of presentation time.
- A short biography (<200 words) and a résumé/CV of each speaker.
Procedure and important notices
- Members of the APEC Conference and Program Committees will review the seminar proposals. Seminars are selected based on high quality and an effort to provide a balanced seminar program consistent with the overall APEC charter. This means that that some very good seminar proposals may be declined.
- Compensation for seminar speakers includes an honorarium of US$2500.00 and a complimentary seminar and conference registration. In the case of multiple speakers for one seminar, the US$2500.00 honorarium and complimentary registrations may be shared among the speakers. Seminar speakers are responsible for their own expenses of preparing and presenting the seminar, including all travel, lodging, and meals.
- Speakers are required to be present at APEC 2018 to deliver their presentation in person.
- Tutorial presentations are expected to be commercial free. Limit background information on the speaker’s affiliation and trademarked terms. Part numbers and detailed product information should be avoided unless necessary for the tutorial.
- The seminar presentations will be distributed as protected Adobe PDF files (text and graphics copy protected) in the USB flash drives as well as printed handouts, which will be in color. Submission of your seminar proposal serves as your implicit agreement and consent to electronic distribution of your seminar presentation.
- Final presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint format AND Adobe PDF format are due at the APEC office no later than January 11, 2019.
To access the seminar presentation files from APEC 2018, click here.